Mike is an award-winning communicator and technology consultant who has remained on the cutting edge of technology and business changes from his early career at Kodak through his three decades as an entrepreneur in Buffalo. He is very active in his church, the running community, and numerous charities in Western New York. He and his wife of 38 years are the proud parents of two grown sons.
Mike formed his own technology consulting company, Beato Enterprises Inc., in 1989, where he continues his career today, 30+ years later. His specialties are: designing effective business websites, consulting with other businesses in today’s gig economy, and event photography. Mike has become known and honored in the Buffalo area for his outstanding communication skills. He has shared his professional knowledge and experience through teaching, speeches, and seminars. Mike maintains a professional website, blog, and social media accounts where he comments on industry trends, ideas, and developments.
Mike started his professional career in 1978 as a systems analyst with the Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester, New York. As a member of Kodak’s International Photographic Division, Mike traveled to many Kodak offices in Europe, Latin America, and the Far East installing first-of-its-kind computer hardware and software, and training company users. During that time, Mike was considered a leading international expert on the IBM System/36 computer.
In 1987, at the dawn of the digital publishing revolution, Mike helped launch AdWorks Communications, a new state-of-the-art all-digital advertising agency based in Buffalo, New York. From his experience building AdWorks, Mike realized many other companies were seeking expertise in this emerging digital technology. He started his own technology consulting company, Beato Enterprises, Inc.
In 2018, Mike’s professional achievements and personal service to the community were honored by his high school with his induction into the Fairport High School Alumni Wall of Fame.
Nominated by his peers, Mike was named the David I. Levy Communicator of the Year by the Professional Communicators of Western New York in 1996. This prestigious award is given annually to honor a distinguished record of achievement in communications.
Drawing on his digital expertise, Mike has also won numerous other awards for creative excellence from Professional Communicators of WNY during its annual competitive awards ceremony.
Mike was awarded the Brainstorm Club Service Award in 2006 to recognize his achievements in furthering the activities and interests of Brainstorm–The Communicators Club of Buffalo and the advertising community at large. The award is presented to a member nominated by the organization’s board of directors.
Civic & Community Involvement
- Mike is very active in the Newman Center at the University at Buffalo. He has served as Director of Religious Education, religious education instructor, lector, eucharistic minister, and frequent volunteer at church activities and events. He also livestreams Masses and other services so people can view these events from anywhere in the world.
- Mike is an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church, and has been honored to officiate numerous weddings and funerals. Visit MarriagesbyMike.com for more information.
- Fight For Air Stair Climb (12 years) – Among the top fundraisers climbing 37 floors of Seneca One Tower in Buffalo – and 1,800 steps at Highmark Stadium – to support the American Lung Association: 2013 through 2024.
- Christ the King Seminary board of trustees, Diocese of Buffalo. 2011-2014. Mike served on the Audit Committee for the Seminary board.
- University at Buffalo Citizens Police Academy member, studying University Police operations. Frequent volunteer through the Academy for community events and public safety drills.
- Board member of the Western New York Running Hall of Fame. 2017-2019.
- Top local fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training charity event, running in the San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon, June 2010.
- Frequent volunteer photographer for many Buffalo charity marketing and promotion events, such as Multiple Sclerosis Society Walk MS, JDRF One Walk, Getzville Fire Installation Dinner, St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Canal Fest Parade, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Diamond Ball, American Association of University Women Scholarship Book Sale, Taste of Buffalo, Make a Wish Foundation, Garden Walk Buffalo, Iraq/Afghanistan Memorial Dedication.
As an Adjunct Professor, Mike taught a graduate-level course in Communications Technology at Canisius College from 1999-2007. He also taught a freshman class at Canisius in Digital Media Arts.
Mike served as a Lecturer at the University at Buffalo, teaching an undergraduate course in Digital Presentations.
He completed the 2011 University at Buffalo Citizens Police Academy, studying University Police operations. Topics included crime scene investigation, recruiting, hands-on training in defensive tactics, and more.
Mike earned a B.S. in Information Systems Management from Buffalo State College, State University of New York.
Mike is an active competitive runner in the Buffalo area. He’s participated in more than 700 races since he started running at age 50. He’s run 4 full marathons, 12 half marathons, and hundreds of road, track, and trail races. In 2017, 2018 and 2019, he completed more than 100 races in the Western New York area, winning a Century Award each year from the local running community.
Mike and his wife, Jacquie, have celebrated 38 years of marriage. They are the proud parents of two sons: an attorney in Washington, D.C., and an administrator at the Stern School of Business at New York University (NYU).
Awards & Achievements
Inducted into the Fairport Alumni Wall of Fame in 2018. This award recognizes outstanding Fairport alumni who have achieved distinction in their lives and chosen fields after high school through significant contributions to their careers, community, or through personal achievements.
Serving as a mentor for university students and young professionals in the communications field.
Completed the 2011 University at Buffalo Citizens Police Academy, studying University Police operations. Topics included fire and first aid, emergency dispatch, bike patrol, crime scene investigation, recruiting, hands-on training in defensive tactics and a patrol ride-along.
Named the ‘1996 David I. Levy Communicator of the Year’ by the Professional Communicators of Western New York. This prestigious award is given annually to honor the recipient for a distinguished record of achievement in communications.
Participated in the Fight For Air Climb for the last 12 years. Has been one of the top fundraisers for this American Lung Association event.
Won multiple gold, silver, and bronze awards for creative excellence from the Professional Communicators of Western New York.
Won the ‘Brainstorm Club Service Award’ in 2006 in recognition of achievements in furthering the activities and interests of the club.
Professional speaker and blogger covering technology, business, and personal productivity topics.
Won ‘Best Show Book Ad’ at the Seventh Annual Awards for Creative Excellence by Brainstorm — The Communicators Club of Buffalo.
Completed more than 100 races in the Western New York area in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Served on the Board of the Western New York Running Hall of Fame.
Directed the children’s religious education program at the University at Buffalo’s Newman Center, North Campus. Lector, parish fundraiser.
Taught at Canisius College as an adjunct professor in the Communications Studies Department. He taught a graduate-level communication technology course in the Organizational Communication and Development graduate program for nine years.
Served on the Board of Trustees for the Christ the King Seminary in East Aurora, New York.
Mike Beato specializes in website design & development, event photography, professional speaking, & business consulting.
He has 40+ years of experience in professional and personal communications.