I bought a new iPad Air 2 in November to replace my aging iPad 3. I was not disappointed! It’s WAY faster than the underpowered iPad 3, plus it’s thinner and lighter. The precise engineering is nearly perfect.
I wanted to protect my investment with a case without detracting from the iPad’s beautiful design aesthetics. I made a list of my musts and wants to help me find the best choice. The case…
- Should be thin and lightweight so as not to detract from the iPad’s lithe design.
- Must cover the iPad’s aluminum back and be held in place by tightly snapping into a form-fitted enclosure.
- Should have a folding cover for the front.
- Should have an easy way to prop up the iPad for viewing and typing.
- Must cost less than $40.
To my surprise there were not a lot of cases available on the market when the iPad Air 2 was introduced. Apple offered two choices:
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0060GF0WG” locale=”US” tag=”beatoenterprises”]iPad Air Smart Cover – $39.[/easyazon_link] I rejected it because it only had a front cover and did not offer any protection for the iPad’s back. The cover attached with magnets. I made the mistake of buying one of these for my previous iPad 3 and decided not the repeat this error in future iPad case purchases.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00OO9YPG8″ locale=”US” tag=”beatoenterprises”]iPad Air 2 Smart Case – $79.00.[/easyazon_link] This leather case was nice, but way overpriced. And in all honesty, I actually prefer a polycarbonate material to Apple’s expensive leather option.
As usual, Apple’s offerings were adequate but overpriced.
I then visited several retail stores. That turned out to be disappointing. I looked at the Apple Store, Best Buy and another local Western New York Mac store. Other than the Apple branded options, there were very few choices on display.
After much online searching, I decided to purchase a case that also happened to have the longest name I came across! The ESR Yippee Color Series Smart Cover with Transparent Back Cover met all of my criteria – and the price was a very reasonable $12.99 on Amazon. A bargain for sure.
I was not disappointed. My iPad Air 2 fits perfectly into its thin molded case. The polycarbonate folding front cover uses strong magnets to hold it properly in place, either open or closed. There are ten different color choices available. I selected Silver Grey.